Sunday, September 4, 2016

___________________ SWEDISH STORFIDRA 25 'VINDIL' __________________

Whangarei, New Zealand, is a great place for the sailing aficionado. In a good season over 400 yachts visit Northland. They voyage south to avoid the Hurricane season and to take a break from the tropical heat. Most clear customs at Opua a little further north of Whangarei in the Bay of Islands. Many yachts then come south to Whangarei to make use of the many very good facilities to haul out and refit. This influx of yachts pumps more than $25 million into the local economy.

So many yachts come through Whangarei that I have to make sure I don't become a bit blase or take for granted the wonderful changing parade of interesting and fascinating boats that I am able to view only five minutes away from my backdoor. So spoiled for choice am I that I find only the unusual and quirky take my eye and prompt my interest and comment. This yacht 'Vindal' which based on my internet searches I strongly suspect is a Swedish 'Storfidra 25' design is such a boat.

The uncommon rounded gunwales (hints of lifeboats) reminds me of John Guzzwells', Giles designed  'Trekka', the Uffa Fox designed trailerable 'Atalanta' design and L. Francis Herreshoffs three masted schooner 'Marco Polo' design - all have this feature incorporated in the design.

In a small yacht this treatment of the gunwales reduces useful deck area but provides much useful additional internal volume (including headroom) without raising the topsides to any unsightly degree. Another effect of obtaining internal volume in this manner is that a big beam to length ration does not have to be relied on to do this, making for a slenderer, swifter and more seaworthy hull.

15 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

A handsome yacht, indeed. It's a privilege to live so close to a harbor visited by world-class sailors.

Alden Smith said...

Dan, it really is a privilege to live where we do - I feel that keenly. But I must say your neck of the woods looks good also - with many areas accessible for exploring in your kayak and some good tramping areas.

Ryan said...

Hey. That's my boat! Although I did it own her, then. You're correct. It's a storfidra 25, built in Sweden in the very early 70's; a rip-off of colin archer design, so very reminiscent of a traditional lifeboat. She's currently lying off auckland, undergoing repairs (whilst still on mooring) to maststep support, and bowsprit. If I can get her seaworthy in good time, I'll sail her to Thames hardstand and do some proper work on her this summer....

Alden Smith said...

That's great - good to know that a great little boat is getting some TLC and will be out sailing again - good luck with the repairs.

Anonymous said...

Hi So is that the same Storfidra by the habour bridge in Shoal Bay? I have one in Stockholm. A great boat.

Alden Smith said...

Hi Anonymous, I saw and photographed this Storfidra 25 here in Whangarei - Shoal Bay is in Auckland. Yes, great little boat and obviously a world voyager.

Ryan said...

Yes anonymous,she was in shoal bay, and sadly neglected for a few years, there...she's now at sulphur beach (virtually next door), and STILL undergoing work on her mooring...I'm in the middle of doing a complete rewire, and about to replace all the standing rigging; but this job is complicated by the fact that I have decided to fabricate some new chainplates, as i dont trust these longitudinal encapsulated bronze ones...by this time, next year, she'll be ready to cross the tasman! I'm always keen to talk with other storfidra owners...im facebook friends with a guy who sailed his from stockholm to aus/nz, and back again...contact me on facebook (Ryan Maughan, I'm always posting on the diy sailors group, if you join that)

Unknown said...

I had storfidra25 no47 perfect boat to go anywhere

Alden Smith said...

Thanks for your comment - the positive experience of having owned a Storfidra 25 is a good recommendation.

Andrew said...

Hi there, please excuse the directness of this message, but if this boat is ever up for sale, I would be very interested.

Alden Smith said...

As I don't own 'Vindil' I can't sell it to you. The Blog post is about 'Vindil's visit to Whangarei. If you would like to buy one of these Storfiia 25s, I guess you could do a "Storfidra 25" for sale' search on Google.

Andrew said...

Thanks for the reply. Ah the chances were slim when I was in Europe and now I'm in New Zealand, it will take the stars aligning 🙄 if 'Vindil' is still in New Zealand, on the off chance, please feel free to forward my contact details to the owner 🙂 I would be incredibly grateful

Anonymous said...

I am still the owner Andrew...she’s been on the hardstand in Thames for the past year...but will be back in her mooring near the Auckland harbour bridge, soon. I’ve dealt with all the osmosis, replaced the prop, prop shaft, stern gland (gone dripless), and cutlass bearing, putting on all new standing and running rigging, finished the rewire. Am fitting raymarine instruments and transducers. Was stripping and repainting whole boat but have run out of time to do the deck, so some bits are done, some bits still to be done. Removed all deck hardware and Resealed and bedded. This boat was going to be with me until i died but my work situation has changed and im moving to Australia in the next few weeks, and the boat isn’t ready for the Tasman yet. I don’t really want to sell, but may have an idea you might be interested in if you’re local to Auckland? You can find me on Facebook. I’m the Ryan Maughan in a big hat, walking away from the camera with a little boy with a pink bucket walking behind me...he loves her, too, and up until she went on the hard, we went sailing on her EVERY weekend...I look forward to hearing back from you

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan,
Good to hear from you and thanks for sharing the current details. I've sent you a message over fb messenger, that will be in that second inbox that might not give you notifications. Hope you hear from you soon, Andrew

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody, wish to buy Storefidra 25, available any, thanks in advance in any!