Tuesday, March 17, 2015

MY SHIP IS COMING IN

                                Photo 'Sail Amsterdam 1995' courtesy of the owner of this beautiful little Vertue class yacht, bow on, to the right.

MY SHIP IS COMING IN
By Harriet. E. Banning 1902
 
My ship is coming in at last,
My ship that sailed afar,
With spreading sail and favoring gale
She’s sailing o’er the bar.

She’s coming in, coming in,
Over the harbor bar!
She’s coming in, she’s coming in,
My ship that sailed afar.

With ice bound hull and storm rent sail,
All battered by the sea,
With windswept deck, almost a wreck,
She’s coming back to me.

And when she’s anchored safe in port,
With all her sails unbent,
And ended the long uncertainty,
Then I shall be content.

2 comments:

Ben said...

There will be a Sail Amsterdam 2015 from August 19 to August 23. Was there on a 3 mast tall ship in 2000, hanging out in the bowsprit net, watching the fireworks.

Alden Smith said...

Thank you, I didn't know that. I will keep an eye out for any utube videos and other information.
I think it would be great to go to one of these Tall Ships get togethers or even better still, to sail on one of these big square riggers (despite my concerns about their ultimate stability).

How great that you were there in 2000 in a bowsprit net!